Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Graduation... Check. Goodbye to my friends and fam... Check. Sunscreen... Check. Bikini... Check.
Okay, I'm ready to go!

So I bought a one way ticket to Hawaii. I've always wanted to visit paradise, and why not go now? I think it's the perfect time, before I get caught up in grad school or a career or GASP, a serious relationship.

I was thinking about this program called WWOOF (yes you say it like woof). It stands for World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms. Not that I want to be a farmer really, but it's this cool trade set up, where in exchange for some help on an organic farm, you get room and board. I've always wanted to learn more about sustainable living, it would be exercise, I'd get to live with locals, and most importantly, I'd save money (possibly even make some). I haven't found a position thats a good fit for me yet -- all the places with indoor plumbing all seem to have reached their quota of WWOOFers -- but who knows what might come up? 

As a workaholic, I know I'll start wanting my employment fix. I know it sounds kind of strange that I'm preferring manual labor, but picking mangoes, growing coffee beans, being outside, and just learning... it sounds so much more enticing right now! I have the rest of my life to sit behind a desk... though I may have to just go with this route anyways since my selected WWOOFing sites are full and open clerical positions seem abundant. 

Maybe I will resist the temptation of work (and pay) and stretch my savings out over the summer. Though I'd leave Hawaii broke as a joke, I could actually carry this extended vacation out to the end of summer. 

Anyways, I plan to see all the major islands. Oahu (Lost is filmed here), Kauai (Jurassic Park was filmed here), Molokai, Maui, and the Big Island. Inter-island flights will be the key. First stop, Oahu. I'll be there TOMORROW! 

1 comment: