Friday, May 22, 2009

My First Full Day in Hawaii

My inner clock is all screwed up now so from 3 am on, I had trouble sleeping. At 5 am I woke up for good. I made a few calls since New York is 6 hrs ahead of Hawaii, then loaded the lotion and sunscreen on and got ready for my first full day in Hawaii. Since I got up so early I saw the sunrise:


I met Hi-de and we caught a bus to our destination. There were many beautiful sights passed during the bus ride, I really enjoyed it and Hide was happy to get to practice his English. We are fortunate friends, but I'm more fortunate because I spent no money yesterday. Hi-de took care of bus and lunch, and even packed me breakfast. He was worried I was starving because I had mentioned the word yesterday and he didn't realize I had gone to Subway. He didn't know what "starving" meant and when he went home and looked it up he was worried and packed me food! 

Since it's his friends company, I went snorkeling and body boarding for free, and we also got free lunch. BBQ chicken, rice, and some Hawaiian comfort food called Loco Moco. It was all delicious. 

The beach we went to first was Lanikai, which means Heaven of the Oceans in Hawaiian.

Hi-De:

Me with Snorkel gear! :

His friend, Tomo (pronounced Toe-Moe), picked us up from the beach and we headed back to get lunch and to pick up Japanese tourists. Hi-De only had to give the lesson to two people, a mother and her adorable 9 year old daughter. The lesson was so much fun with all of them.

Body boarding at Kailua beach:



When I got back I was so tired I fell asleep til 8pm. Hi-De met me back at Waikiki beach later on and he brought me a pineapple from the garden he takes care of. He cut it up and we ate it right there at the beach. 

Then we walked down Kalakaua Ave and saw many shops and street performers. We visited the International Market Place, where I got a bought a necklace that means Happiness Infinity, and then walked back the beach way. It was a very good second day in Hawaii. 

Street performers:



The "Amazin' Asians + 1 White Boy":


1 comment:

  1. HEIDI!!! Some people stay in Hawaii for years and don't have experiences like this. You're so lucky!!!!!!!!1

    ReplyDelete